A brief history of Northlands Primary School
Northlands Primary School has been an integral part of the Durban North Community for 70 years and has established a friendly and caring ethos which is discernable to all who come into contact with the school. From February 1949 until October 1949 we were part of the Durban North Government School which included High School and Primary School boys and girls. In October 1949 we left the premises of the High School and became known as the Kensington Drive Junior Government School with 96 pupils and a staff of 3.
In 1989 it was decided that Northlands Boys’ High and Beachwood Boys’ High would join to form a new boys high School – Northwood. The new high school would be housed on the grounds of Northlands Boys High School which left the campus at Beachwood on Gleneagles Drive vacant and a decision was made to move Northlands Senior Primary from Mackeurton Avenue to the present day site.
On the 23 January 1990 Northlands Senior Primary started with 451 pupils in the new buildings. There were so many spare classrooms that both educators and learners felt quite lost for a while!
In 1992 Northlands further expanded by joining with Northcrest Primary School and we became Northlands Primary School which included a pre-primary section – today known as Fairway on Northlands.
From these modest beginnings to our beautiful treed campus with world class facilities and over 1000 pupils we have certainly grown steadily over the years – much like the mighty Oak tree that makes up our school badge.