There are 15 classes with dedicated, enthusiastic teachers who teach with skill and compassion. There are also specialists for the following subjects – Afrikaans, isiZulu, Music, Computer studies and Physical Education.
The school hours are:
Grade 1 and 2: 07h20 – 12h20 Monday to Friday
Grade 3 07h20 – 13h45 Monday to Thursday
07h20 – 12h20 Friday
At Northlands we follow the CAPS programme, focusing on the holistic child. We have remedial teachers who assists children who need extra help with English. We also have a school counsellor who assists with children who are trying to resolve emotional issues.
With the arrival of a global pandemic in 2020 we had to adjust our academic offer to include an extensive on-line teaching programme which saw our educators and learners up-skilling at a furious rate to avoid the loss of academic time over the many lockdown weeks. The Northlands On-line school was born, the first government primary school programme of its kind.
We are part of a big school but we maintain our JP identity by the following activities:
- Our own JP assembly which is geared to this age group. The children are rewarded with certificates for effort, attitude, good work, sports among other things.
- We have our own gala, sports day and the Grade 3s have sport festivals where they compete against other schools. The Grade 1 and 2 children have the chance to improve their sport skills on a Saturday morning.
- A large variety of sporting codes are offered throughout the year.
- We have functions such an Art evening, family picnics and Spur evenings for our JP families.
- The Grade 3s have the opportunity to be part of the JP choir.
After school we offer Aftercare for Grade 1 and 2 and homework centre for Grade 3. Here the children are supervised, given a chance to play and the opportunity to do their homework.